Thursday, January 25, 2007

 

Bangkok report - Jan 21 & 22nd

My maiden visit to Bangkok called for an all out combing of Chatuchak and Suan Lum markets, went to Siam Square twice. I know I missed other markets...maybe next time. Here are the sights of Bangkok (in shopping action)...

Ae is a friendly fella, I got a few bags from him, also a pink polka baby doll dress made by his mom, inspired by Korean traditional costume. His store at the Chatucak is located at Section 14, Soi 16.
Justin and I were quite impressed with the police there...
Siam Square
Got this Tsumori Chisato bag from a 2nd hand shop, RM 35I wore the red belt I got from Ea's store (Chatuchak) at Siam SquareSights of Nana
the street market at Nana (pics by Justin Tan)The bag I was carrying is from Ea's store in Chatuchak.Some of the gifts I got for girlfriendsSome for myself
Notes on the markets I went to:
Suan Lum Night Bazaar
i was reading about this market from the net and some folks said it is just popular for no special reasons but i find it -
smaller, friendlier market, because of the size and the way the store are arranged. well yes, it's cleaner and more spacious and has the upper class feel to it (to cater to certain kind of tourists). higher price for slightly better quality of goods, there are the odd n interesting stores if you look carefully. do bargain but you can choose to believe the vendors when they tell you you won't find their goods in another store there. i got some silk shawls from this lady who runs a factory making the shawls, she wouldn't lower the price any lower than 650 baht for one particular type of shawl and said she is the only store with that type...true enough I found out. so i got two from her. bought some fancy bras...cheap, 199 baht each but sizes were limited, hand work is so so but that's what you get for bras of that price range. found a crazy store selling wacky n outrageous...outlandish costume jewellery, bought a feather scarf from there, think dramatic.

Chatuchak Weekend Bazaar
i was so excited about going to the biggest market but somehow when i got there i took my time to start bargaining. it took me a while to start buying because it wasn't easy to find the more interesting stores selling the more unique ware...of course it's so huge that you will bound to find something you like. i was happy to have found Ea's 2nd hand store with the wonderful handbags and knick knacks. food stores are almost everywhere and the smell is tempting! the temperature in the market is not so bad if you start shopping from morning. i got there round 930am and by 1pm i was tired already and wanting to get out of there...partly because i found myself walking round n round the same corners (bad navigation skill). i got pretty good stuff there though, wish i bought more stuff...but my body wouldn't let me trot anymore that day. oh ya, forgot my electric hand-held fan in the hotel also ;p

Pat-Thong Marketwas there for the sleazy bars actually hahha, you know, to see it for myself for the first time and all. anyway Justin was keen to walk round the market but I wasn't a bit interested at all because after doing my rounds at Suan Lum, the goods on sale at this market just look, so plain...and ugly? basically i walked along the stores scanning through the stuff, nothing stood out at all and i didn't buy anything there.

City Square
funky!!!! Lots of expensive, exotic classy stores/boutiques around so spend if you can afford it! we had fun watching the sexy Uni-students parading round in variety of white blouses and black skirts and school girls with really short skirts. you'll find cheaper goods all over, all you need is time, patience and the passion to conquer! was happy to find a tiny second hand store nearby (sorrry i forgot to take down the shop name) where i got my Tsumori Chisato bag, monochrome vintage belt, plastic clip-on earrings and this ultra cool see thro pink blouse with yellow neckline...the prices in general are higher than the markets but if you can find something good and it's way cheaper than shopping in KLCC in KL, then buy it! i will be running a sort of fashion report on the folks in Siam Square in my fashion blog in a day or so...check it out.

Labels:


Comments:
Gorgeous ear drop,Doc. But try to take a brighter pic coz I hardly see the details of those accessories. hehe :D
 
RM 35 for Tsumori, unbelievable price !
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?